Tuesday, September 19, 2006

a watched pot never what??

Why is it that whenever we are paying attention to something, or we are trying to wait for something, or count something... it always seems to take longer, than when we're enjoying something, or wishing it would last longer?
The microwave, for example. You can set it for 3 minutes.... and the seconds seem to last forever. A pot of water that's supposed to boil... it takes forever if you're waiting for it.
Class takes forever if you are waiting for it to be over, and waiting in line at the DMV... yeah.. that actually DOES take forever... but... the other stuff doesn't!
Contrasting, whenever you're enjoying a moment so much you want it to keep going forever... it only lasts a moment. The summer that I would have liked to have last indefinitely, was over right on schedule... and my time to spend with people I love seems to evaporate whenever I desire it.
I suppose this should make me think about the fact that if I stop paying attention to the waiting, it will go faster, and I should start paying more attention to the people I love that are here, and have more time with them...
but.... even though I see that as true... and that I need to DO something with the time I have... that doesn't make it easy. It doesn't make it easy to put out of my mind what I WANT to focus on... and to think about other things, other things I can do...


But I will be trying.



~Danette

No comments: