Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What a morning!

I have to go to work soon, so I shall be brief.....

This morning I got to go to Panera and eat quiche and bagel and coffee for breakfast with my grandmother.... and then we went to Best Buy to look at what they would charge for her computer to be fixed.... and it was going to be $149 to reboot and diagnosticize it.... (created a word there,) not to mention that if she wanted to rescue the information off the hard drive, it would be another $89.... So we left, and went to "RAM Technologies".... where we were told, $75 for restarting/diagnosticizing the computer... and $59.00/hr for backing up the information... which, usually takes 1/2 an hour or so.... So it comes to as he said, about $105 or so. (they say this includes antivirus protection, updates on all the Microsoft programs, etc...)

I still think that this is too much, because if we just had them charge us the $30 to back up the computer, I could have easily rebooted Windows from the install disk... and it wouldn't be that hard to download the updates for Windows, either... I think that the guy we were talking to was a royal pain, because he was saying things that were irrelevant in MY mind... but Grams decided to go ahead and spend the money... (she says, because "finals are coming close" and she doesn't think I'd have time to do it.... but... but... but... Gramps said he would even pay me to do so!!!! sad. So it's being fixed, and they are spending about $75 more than they really needed to, because the computer guy made it sound like we couldn't possibly update Windows and reboot the computer on our own..... I wish I had told Grams it was a waste of money... I kind of said that I thought I could do the rebooting stuff... but the guy made it sound like that was a huge task, ( rather than something that I could easily do, while doing homework).... so he accomplished his task of selling his services to Grams. But I could have done it just as well, for cheaper.

Anyway- that's what I wanted to chatter about. The coffee and food at Panera's was really tasty... and I had a good time with my grandmother. I just wish she would have let me save her the money, because I think that RAM Tech. is being kind of unreasonable. (makes me want to go into computer repair, so I can make money that easily...)

~Danette

No comments: