Saturday, May 06, 2006

weekend..

Yesterday, Benjy came to spend the afternoon with me; or rather, I spent the morning/early afternoon with Brita, Hanne, Rachel, my mother, and Benjy... and then Benjy came to campus with me... We went to the mall, went shopping, (the "Games by James" store, and "Durham Sports"... where I got Dutch Blitz, and a Nalgene bottle, respectively) and then we tried to go rent the movie "Hoodwinked." One Blockbuster... all checked out. Another Blockbuster....gone.... then we went to the "Premiere Video" store- and struck gold- they had at least 10 copies still there.... so we got it. Good movie- especially Twitchy the squirrel... :-) We got a frozen pizza from the front desk, (and had it cooked,) and ate that for dinner, and watched the movie. That was nice. And we taught my friends Leah and Jenna (my roommate) how to play Dutch Blitz, too...
I just finished returning Benjy to my grandparents' house, where he is going to work outside with my grandfather until tomorrow.

My grandmother is trying to bug me to go to church with them tomorrow while Benjy is there... but I don't want to. I like Jacob's Well. I like it, and, besides that, I have already offered to give some of the other girls a ride to church there... so I can't just desert them to go to my grandparents' church... which, by the way, never has seemed very friendly- it may have changed- but I don't feel like I need to go there... for one, it's THEIR church... they are there... and I will be seen as connected to them... rather than being myself... and I love my grandparents, but I am enjoying the whole "autonomous" bit of being a college student- not meaning that I never need anyone, but that I am making my own decisions, and I don't have family around me all the time. It's kind of nice. I don't think my grandmother likes it very much, though. And maybe her insistence is because my new church is not "Fundamental Independent Baptist"... but Southern Baptist.... well.. to me... duh... um... what's the big difference? F.I.Baptists in general seem a little bit too separatist... nothing unbiblical has been taught at my new church so far.... and it's only 5 years old, but has a couple hundred people at least that come to the services- and about 150 members... it's just so... alive.

I've probably been too blunt with my grandmother though, telling her that I don't want to go to her church... I hope she doesn't take it as an insult to her.... but, as she keeps trying to get me to go, I feel like my subtle "no thank-you"s haven't been communicated- either that, or they aren't listened to. today she was asking me again... I wouldn't mind, if she just asked me, and accepted my "No, I am going to my church, because I am bringing people there, etc..." as an answer... rather than continuing to try to talk me into it... it's not like my church is evil, or not preaching God's Word... so why should I go somewhere else? But she is insistent... and I have no intention of returning to her church any time soon.

Well, I need to stop complaining, and go do my schoolwork; sorry if it sounds a bit whiny today. :-(

~Danette

No comments: