Tuesday, May 09, 2006

some funny things that you more likely than not, will not "get"...

Not all of these are completely true of every home-schooled person..... a lot are not true of me myself... but I know people for whom they are..... :)

~Danette

(if you want to learn more about homeschooling... ask me- because I have a whole document I've put together talking about it- complete with government statistics proving that homeschooling provides a better education on average than public schools)

You know you’re a homeschooler if:
Your walk to school means just going downstairs.
You end up doing more schoolwork on snowdays because you’re snowed in.
You can't do a Jumping Jack to save your life!
Your “school desk” is the dining room table, the kitchen counter, the car, or the floor!
Your classmates range from 20 to 2.
Your foreign exchange student is an Australian Shepherd.
Your teacher can't send you to the principal’s office because he isn't home from work yet!
You have ever "gone" to school in your pajamas/nightgown. LOL! Plus, if you are sick, if you don't feel too bad, you can still do school, cuz you can lay down and rest anytime!
You get excited to go to the orthodontist!!! (You get to get out of the house!)
Your penpals are some of your best friends!!!
Your linen closet is filled with school books.
You own more than four bookshelves.
You can choose to have recess at any time.
You don't have to get a pass to go to the bathroom!
The walk to school is 20 feet from your bedroom.
You get along better with adults than with children your own age.
You have an unusually large vocabulary.
You have no idea what a track and field day is.
You go all day without leaving the house.
Your electric pencil sharpener has also been used to sharpen crayons, AND carrots.
Your siblings all started reading at eighteen months
You wake up in the morning, get dressed, and when you go to the kitchen for breakfast, you find out that you not only match your sister(s) but your mom also!
You sleep in till 9 am on weekdays but get up at 7 am on Sundays.
You enjoy the pastime of watching public school kids walk home from school.
The teacher can kiss the principal, and no one thinks it's unusual.
You have ever finished your schoolwork before breakfast.
Shop class includes watching your brother fix his car.
You actually want to receive books on your birthday.
When people ask you where you go to school and you say the name of a school they've never heard of and wait awhile to tell them that that is the name of your homeschool.
If people find out that your mother teaches 6 grades.
The only people you know are your mom's friends or people from your church :)
The people in your 'class' are all in different grades than you.
You can do a good joke on your newest friends with homeschool. They ask what school your from and you can say "I don't GO to school." I did that once and shocked the life out of him
Your idea of a fun time with your family is combing over battle fields!
A trip to a history museum is the highlight of your school year!
You do Earth Science and astronomy from your van on the way to the Grand Canyon.
You have your diploma BEFORE your divers license!
Your stack of books to check out is taller than the librarian
Your father has ever told the check out lady at Wal-Mart, "We're on a field trip"
You have to move dirty laundry off your desk before you can start school
The signatures on your diploma all end with the same last name
Your first real date is on your honeymoon
Your yearbook is also your baby book
A snow day means you shovel the driveway after you finish your school work
You have to look at the clock to see if you can call your public school friends yet
You have to decide what year you want to graduate
You get to school and the teacher asks you if you've done all your chores
If your bedroom floor is littered with "home” work.
If when people ask what school you go to you say “I don’t know.”
If you spend more time doing school work then playing.
If you have a better relationship with your parents then your friends.
If when you say I do Abeka people think you are nuts.
You think that Anglo Saxon is a math book.
If your dining room table is used for a desk, science experiments, and every once and awhile, a place to eat.
If when someone asks you what grade you are in you can't remember.
You are one of the best people in the world! 


1 comment:

Kim Ferguson said...

Hi Dani, some of those were really funny. I am a teacher in Middle school and my kids are young. My sonis in Kindergarten and my daughter will start next year. I already teach them a lot from home, in fact my son already knows everything that he is "learning" in school already, plus much more. I have considered homeschooling them though my husband is not all tht crazy about the idea from a social aspect(I am sure you have heard that before). It just so happens that the Primary grade building they are in is an excellent school but I know that I don't want them to go to the Middle School in that district. I teach there myself. I think I'll pull them out at that time and homeschool. Then maybe I will send them to a regular High School (will play it by ear). Now I'll know I have someone to ask questions if I have any about it.