Thursday, April 06, 2006

Anti-abortionists Vs. Pro Lifers...

Hmm.

Today a group calling themselves "Missionaries to the Preborn", came to campus, with demonstrations, signs, and handing out literature. I am glad they came, because perhaps some people were affected by them. They had signs that portrayed the graphic nature of abortion, showing the dead babies...

I don't know exactly what I think of everything- I mean, I am glad they were here... should I go out and do the same thing? I don't know... mostly because I don't know what kind of results it would have, compared to the results that it will have to be more "friendy"..... Will people respond to the picketing, or to just love and compassion alone?

Thinking about it, I have to say that we really shouldn't shy away so much, from showing the REALITY of abortion- the victims. We should show the effects that abortion has- not just talk about them. Pictures speak louder than words.

The organization's website contained letters from people who they encountered, and stories of people who chose not to abort, because of their signs... so there's definitely an effect from them.... but is the effect as great as it would be if they did things a little differently? I don't know. I don't know either, whether the Lighthouse Society would want to be connected to such things.... but I kind of think I should stop being so much in the background, and DO something.... These people came from other parts of the state, and from around the country, to come HERE... Here I am... what am I doing, other than being the vice president of a student organization?

It's something to think about.

edit:

I thought I should mention, that I didn't see the majority of what the people did... and the more I hear people talk about it, it sounds like they got out of hand and off-topic... It's sad that these things happen... I wish that for once, a group of people who were doing things to make a difference in this way, would just manage NOT to direct insults at people, and alienate we who are around all the time....

(and I kind of wish their kids weren't homeschooled, because now I keep hearing negative comments about homeschooling, because their children were there... grr. I wonder how many people I shall have to set straight about homeschooling? )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you are saying but I didn't like them. I know the reality of what they were saying and showing and it made me sad a little angry. I didn't like how they presented it because I don't people take yelling like that very well. I guess only God can know if what they did was "right".

Dani the Dandelion said...

I guess... I didn't hear the yelling. I only saw the pamphlet handing-out...

and while I don't like yelling. They're right. It's an abortion holocaust.

I can deal with letting people's feelings get hurt, if it saves a single baby's life.