Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Wow.

The semester is nearly half-over. What have I learned? I feel like none of my classes have kicked into gear yet... except for the one I don't like :-) (Yeah.. that's the anthropology linguistics class...) I thought that the linguistics class would be fun... but it's not. Though the class itself can be interesting... it's hard. It makes sense, considering that it's a 300-level class... but still... There were no registration restrictions on it because of the level... so why does it have to be hard?

I am kind of anxious to get my last test back from the teacher... because I have no idea how I did. I haven't been doing all that great on the quizzes... and I really need the test to have gone well, in order for my grade to stay decent.

(I kind of hesitated writing that since I told my family about my blog... because I know how my mother thinks about grades... :-)

This semester I have been kind of relaxed... I am not going for a nursing major anymore... (and it seems to be such a blessing!) so if I don't get an A in every class... it's OK. I'd rather have a little bit of a life, and get some Bs.

I have also become fairly skilled at doing homework the night before it is due... Being short on sleep occasionally doesn't seem to harm me... (like... stay up until 1AM writing a paper or something...) even when I have to get up at 7 the next morning...

I believe I should still be getting As in my Vocabulary class... my Sign language class... and my Biology class... Piano... umm.. I think I am. I have not gotten anything lower than an 8 on the quizzes... (though that makes you have to retake them...) and I have gotten 10s too.... (and an A starts at 85% in that class...) so.. I am probably getting an A in that... otherwise possibly a B+.... But hey- I basically took that class for relaxation... it's piano. I like piano. It's fun. That's the reason for it.
I am probably getting a B+ so far in my grammar class... and all I have to do to fix that is to work a little harder on the assignments... and check my work a little closer before I finish. My anthropology class.... hrm... that one is the class where I am hoping for a B....(PLEASE don't let it be anything lower than that!!!!) I recognize though... it's only worth 3 credits. I have 17. If I get an A in everything else by the end of the semester.... it won't be of that much consequence if I get a B in it... or even a C, for that matter... though that would be an absolute worst case scenario.

but yeah... calculating it out... if I got a C in ANTH... and A in everything else... I would still have a GPA of 3.64.... and with a B.. I would have 3.82.... which is still less than last semester's GPA of 3.88... but oh well. That's ok with me now.

I have learned a lot so far from this semester... first things:
1. I will NEVER, of my own free will, take another evening class so long as I live
2. I will NEVER, of my own free will, take more than four or five classes... unless I have required classes that are worth 1 or 2 credits. Six classes and 17 credits is not fun. I am surviving.. but it is way too busy.
3. I will try to find a job for next semester BEFORE they all disappear... and I do not want to work at the infant/toddler center again. It is annoying. Not the kids, so much as Lisa, who runs it. (she isn't much older than me... and doesn't know any more about kids really, than I do... but she's in charge... and just happens to be one of those people who believes in "positive" commands...grr. (oh well. I am bad and use "NO" anyway... the kids get it at home. Not one of them has acted surprised to hear it from me... and... it works.)

4. I will remember when the room sign up dates are. I missed the one for next semester... so I will probably not get a room that I like so much.
5. I will not be so timid in getting to know the people on my wing. They are cool... and I wasted too much time this semester eating alone and spending time by myself.
6. I might even decide to start a small-group Bible study...
7. I will NOT have evening classes, most importantly, not on Monday, or Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday. Tuesday is the only day to consider one. (the other days, there are the different Christian group meetings... and I don't know which one I like so far.. but I haven't gotten to sample them much... because I have class during two of them, Monday and Wednesday... I should really go tomorrow night to Navs, though... it could prove to be very good. (besides... my roommate goes there occasionally.. and it would be good to encourage her to continue...) I haven't been able to try InterVarsity, though... because it is on Mondays...
8. Never again, shall I put off a group project until the week before it is due. It means too much work.

well.. that's enough for now....

~Danette

No comments: