Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Growing

Isn't it nice when you can see progress in your life in an area or two? - Knowing that you have areas to work on isn't quite as fun as seeing yourself grow stronger in those same areas.
This summer I have been learning a lot and getting better in several spiritual areas in my life, while at the same time I KNOW I have some other things I need to work on dealing with, as well.
It's been a learning and growing experience this summer working with the RN here. She comes from a different environment than I do, and it's been a challenge at times to work together- but we're both growing and learning as time goes on.
One of the biggest things I'm learning is in my reactions to what people say or do- am I responding appropriately, or are my reactions out of proportion? Another thing I'm working on is something I've been dealing with for a long time- and will probably fight with for the rest of my life- Submitting myself to God, and listening to His leading, rather than taking my life and running with it.
Today I had my "10 Minutes" with Pastor Randy... the end-of-summer interview he's doing with everyone on summer staff. It went well, and I was able to tell him a lot of stuff about how I've grown this summer, and things I've learned, and what I hope to do in my future.
I can hardly believe that there's only a week and a half more to the summer- and then I will be going home, and then off to college again. Time has flown so quickly, all while I have experienced much in each and every day.
Yesterday I was delighted that I got time to give some people some smiles- I brought freeze-pops to all the program staff people- all the staff who are stuck at their posts- wherever they are working, either at go-carts, or horses, or rifles, archery, the waterfront... and I brought them all freeze-pops and made them smile... which made ME smile, because I really liked giving them out and knowing that they were much appreciated- especially as hot as it has been this week!
I think I am going to ATTEMPT to do the same thing every day or so.... but I can't guarantee it, unfortunately!

I do look forward to school- if only because it's the opening of a new year in my life, a new school-year, and new opportunities to minister to people. I want to get involved in a bible-study immediately, and perhaps start my own. I'm going to work on making a lot of friends and invite those people to come to the InterVarsity meetings on Monday nights, and I will try to organize fun get-togethers with people from InterVarsity and other Christian groups to try to connect the unsaved students to people who know the Truth. I'll get involved in the Lighthouse Society again, and do what I can in that group as well, and I may just find another new and fun thing to do or two... like find someone to learn to rock-climb with or something.

I must finish my post now- I have things to do!
~Danette

No comments: