Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hilarious stuff sometimes....

Today a kid came into the clinic, having thrown up... and his counselor was soooo worried about him- because he was feeling really tired, and he'd thrown up, and he had a tick on him the other day and it was a deer tick- the kind that CAN carry lymes disease and other diseases... but it wasn't a logical thing to try connecting the deer tick with his symptoms, as it hadn't been even 24 hours since the tick bite... so Teresa and I were basically worried he was going to have a stomach bug, and that we'd have to figure out who to have stay with him all day in the clinic- which requires TWO people, as he's a boy, thus I would stay as well as another person, just for the sake of propriety.
So I took his temperature and talked to him... come to find out, there was a very logical cause for his throwing up. LOL. I asked him when he started feeling yucky- and his response was:
"Well, this morning when I got up. I guess it could have something to do with all the junk I ate last night."
"Junk?" I asked him. "Did you eat a lot of candy last night?"
"15 candy bars," he replied. I just laughed and shook my head. No wonder he was feeling sick, and that he had thrown up. "Am I alright," he asked, now. "I feel fine... can I go now?"
"So you don't feel like you're going to throw up again?" I asked.
"No, I feel fine." he said.
"You don't feel tired or sick anymore?" his counselor, James, asked.
"No, not really," the kid said. "I feel fine."
"Did you have a lot of trouble sleeping last night?" nurse Teresa asked.
"Yeah, I didn't sleep very well. I kept waking up in the night." he said.
She looked concerned, as if she was very worried about the fact that he hadn't gotten very much sleep- worried about what caused his frequent waking. "Do you usually wake up a lot in the night?" she asked. He shook his head.
"It could probably be explained by the fact that last night was the first night of camp, and so he was sleeping in a different bed, and away from home," I suggested.
"I have a tempur-pedic bed at home," the kid said. "When I laid down last night, the bed kind of hurt."

And so, the mystery was solved. Illness was determined to be caused by the consuming of 15 candy bars, and the fatigue from a day of camp and sleeping in a strange bed in a hot cabin. No evidence of the tick being involved in any of it at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

all I have to say is haha, lol. :)

Anonymous said...

lol, that IS funny! :)