Saturday, June 16, 2007

An amazing evening

Thursday night I did something that I had never done before. When the evening service was nearly over, Bro. Cajiuat gave an invitation- this after two very clear salvation messages in the days previous. I expected that a few campers would respond, and would be met by the very qualified lead counselors and staff that were already waiting, at the back of the chapel. I was amazed at how wrong I was. About a third of the campers raised their hands in the invitation, and over half of the campers- those that raised their hands, and some that didn't!- rose from their seats, and poured into the back of the chapel. As I watched, all the staff that was available got up from their seats and headed to the back to deal with the kids. And they were met with more than enough kids for each of them- and so I, kind of nervously, got up from my seat and went to the back to help. Immediately a petite little girl was pointed out to me "She needs someone to talk to, still." The little girl looked pretty shaken, and as if she was about to cry. "Hey, what's your name?" I asked her. "Chania" she replied. (which sounds more like "Sha-nee-ah") I started to talk to her as we made our way over to the dining hall to talk. We found a table once we were there, and I began to counsel her, and share the gospel with her, and what it means to be saved. That night she asked Jesus into her heart and got saved. She endured the questioning of both evangelist Brad Harris, and evangelist Dave Cajiuat- and seemed to understand what she had just chosen to do. When we walked out of the dining hall, she looked at me and told me "Now that I'm a Christian, I'm going to read my Bible every day, and go to church!" This little girl is also one of the ones that I had to see every morning and evening passing medicine, so I have gotten to keep track of her a little bit. She is soooo sweet- and when they leave today, I know I am going to miss the darling little girl. It's a reason to go up to Gospel Light church in inner-city minneapolis and help them there sometime, even if only for the sake of getting to see Chania and find out how she's doing. :)

Kristen, one of Chania's counselors, (the other is my cousin Anna) said that Chania does indeed understand that she got saved- and she said she really feels different now, and is so happy that Jesus saved her- I am thrilled that it was a real decision, and not a half-hearted one, or without understanding.
God's Word and prayer never return void- I know that I probably messed up a lot in my counseling Chania- and I know I forgot some stuff, in the rote and suggestions that we were given in training, (when Julie Brill taught me about the counseling after chapel, in our role-play... thanks Julie, you were a big blessing to me!) but the prayers I offered up to God that the kids in the service would be touched by Bro. Dave's message were not in vain, and neither was the scripture that I read to Chania.

"It's not about me- it's all about God"- that's what's on a plaque in Pastor Randy's office- someone gave it to him last year. That's truly what it is. About God.

I ask for prayers for me this summer, that I will consistently show the image of Christ to others- both staff and campers- and as well, I want you to keep in prayer the counselors and other staff this summer, and the campers who are coming to camp for the rest of the summer, and the ones leaving today.


In a little while, I'll put some pictures up from my weeks of camp... you'll just have to wait and see!

I hope to get a picture of me with Chania before she has to leave, too. :)

~Danette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh Dani! Wow. Sounds like God has been working in your life in an incredible way of late. I've enjoyed catching back up, as much as a blog will allow someone. I'm writing your name down on my calendar to pray for you this summer - something I'm ashamed to say I've been inconsistant on of late. You are loved, precious girl!!!