Saturday, February 18, 2006

dirty words and disturbing discussions...


The other day in my linguistics class, one group of students lead a discussion on swear-words... it was disturbing, to say the least. I learned more horrible words than I ever wanted to have to HEAR, let alone be discussed in class. It was shocking, and I felt like running out of the room, and leaving. "Why must they defile my mind?" I wondered to myself, as I generally ignored all discussion in the room, and concentrated on writing down what I thought of the whole experience.

It is really just a reflection, however, of the state of our fallen world- "swear" words are taken lightly, such as those based on sexual actions. It is horrifying that it is becoming so acceptable to DO the things these words are referring to- let alone talk about them! Whatever happened to sex outside of marriage being wrong? :-(

It seems that God's name is being used flippantly even more often than I hear any of these others. It recently occurred to me that I have become too calloused- I hear someone use God's name in vain... and basically ignore it. I need to be more sensitive to it, and speak up when it is said around me.

At the same time, I don't think it is necessary to become offended at every type of slang- such as, words pertaining to refuse or manure. Manure is dirty, and disgusting... and I don't really see much of a difference between using the words "crap", "poo", "dung", "feces" or "manure". It's all the same thing. Some ways just sound more eloquent than others.

Well.. that is all I can come up with to say at this moment.

No comments: